While our handy Tax Questionnaire is perfect for your federal taxes, your city and state taxes can be a bit more specific. With this in mind, we put together a few resources below for the most common California-specific taxes, namely:
- California Statement of Information
- San Francisco Gross Receipts and Payroll Expense Taxes
- San Francisco Business Property Statement Tax
Consider these taxes like a toll on your favorite bridge—it’s the price you pay for the privilege of engaging in business in San Francisco. Entities, other than lessors of residential real estate, must file if they engaged in business within San Francisco during the tax year.
inDinero can help you file this report. Just follow the steps below to get started.
Reach out to your account manager, or see the City of San Francisco's Treasurer & Tax Collector site for more information.
Are you doing business in San Francisco?
Engaging in business includes the company, or an employee, representative, or agent of the company, participating in the following activities within San Francisco:
- Maintaining a fixed place of business
- Owning, renting, leasing, or otherwise hiring real or personal property
- Maintaining tangible personal property for sale (e.g. inventory)
- Employing or loaning capital
- For all or part of any seven days during a tax year, within San Francisco:
- Soliciting business
- Performing any work or rendering any services
- Utilizing public streets to operate a motor vehicle for business purposes
- Exercising corporate or franchise powers
- Liquidating a business
- Your combined payroll expense in the City is less than $150,000.
- Your combined taxable gross receipts in the City is less than $500,000.
Only your tax team can definitively answer this question for you, so be sure to reach out to your account manager if you suspect you may be exempt.
Step Two: Prepare Return
This unique filing isn’t found in your tax questionnaire, instead use this form to submit your information to your account manager and tax team. Please submit your information by February 13, 2017 so your team can help you avoid any late penalties.
Please note, this filing is not included in most standard engagements. inDinero can handle this on your behalf for $199 per filing. This includes 2 hours of preparation and review. Should your filing require additional work, your team will clear additional charges with you beforehand.
For other filings, consult our Tax Pricing Guide.
Remember, only an officer, general partner, member manager, executor, trustee, fiduciary, or other individual with the authority from your company can approve this report.
Your team will upload your completed report to the San Francisco Treasurer and Tax Collector’s site. Once done, they will email you to follow these steps:
- Follow this link to the San Francisco Treasurer and Tax Collector’s site: http://sftreasurer.org/2016grPY and select ‘Enter Filing’.
- Log in using your business account number, PIN, and last four digits of your EIN. These details can be found in the upper right corner of your notice from the Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector. Reach out to your account manager if you are unsure where to find this information.
- Review the information on each page and click ‘Save & Continue’. Please do not make any changes to your online draft filing. If you have questions or corrections please reach out to your account manager.
- Once you have reached the Sign/Print/Pay tab, carefully read the Taxpayer Statement and provide the requested personal information. Click ‘Submit’ and proceed with the payment.
Our comments may not contain a full description of all the facts or a complete exposition and analysis of all relevant authorities. Furthermore, the use of certain words such as “should, would, or will” is merely for grammatical convenience, is not intended to indicate a specific level of authority regarding a particular issue, and no explicit or implicit references should be taken there from. Our comments expressed herein are based upon the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code and Regulations in force on the date hereof, all proposed amendments to these Acts, Regulations and treaties publicly announced by the relevant authorities. Each and all of these authorities are subject to change at any time. Any such change could be given retroactive effect with respect to the transactions described herein and could cause the conclusions provided to become invalid, in whole or in part, with respect to any entity involved. There can be no assurance that these authorities will not disagree with, or challenge, the views set forth in this memorandum or that any such challenge will be unsuccessful.